Monday, January 16, 2012

Trickery in the Hospital!

I felt it appropriate to start a new blog since confessions of a non-mommy doesn't really apply. My life has completely changed since the last post of non-mommy. I hope you all enjoy the new blog!

To say life has changed since having our son 10 weeks ago would be an understatement! I have learned so much! I know what a diaper genie is, how many poops a child is supposed to have (we are up to 5+ a day not including pee only), what being in the 25th to 50th percentile means, & what it feels like when milk "let's down" (pins & needles come to mind)!

The weeks right after Jackson was born are a hazy blur. I remember the terrifying ride home from the hospital when I was sure we were going 80 mph in a 25 zone (we were actually going 27 mph). I vaguely remember my mother-in-law coming over. I do remember the feeling of Holy Crap what were we thinking?! Having tears run down my face because even though I kept feeding him, he wouldn't stop crying. Later realized that when you feed a small person, they like to be burped! Being constantly tired, but not able to sleep (eyes close, hear what I think is the baby, but really the inhale of my husbands snore, doesn't matter, the damage is done). Finally having an appetite after 6 months of finding most food disgusting. Suddenly craving sweets like the world will actually end if I don't save it by eating some cookies! Wondering what type of insane person would actually have more than one of these things?!

I found out the hospital is a building full of trickery! You go in to the ER & tell them you a in labor & immediately have almost the entire staff at your assistance. After you get carted to the maternity floor, the nurses come in & give you knowing looks & after 9 months you finally feel like somebody understands what I am going through. I tell them immediately I want the drugs! They laugh politely as if I have just made some type of ice breaker joke. I repeat, how soon can I get an epidural? I am told that there it this magical degree of labor that I need to reach before I can get one. One of them asks, can I get you anything to drink & you really want to say, a shot of whiskey would be GREAT, but you say water. Not only do they get it to you right away, but as soon as it is almost empty, you get a refill!

As the labor progresses, it is like you have a staff of helpers. People to help you go to the bathroom, someone to get you drinks, someone asking you how you are doing every 30 minutes. Even the husband is trying to help. After what seems like a lifetime, the contractions have gotten so bad, I feel I could pass out. Finally the epidural is available! It is the most pain I have ever felt (with the exception of my kidney infection)! But so Glorious once it kicks in! Finally I get some relief! I can't believe that there are women that go through this without drugs! They are either completely Crazy, or the strongest women EVER! It is one thing to have labor without drugs because it is not an option, but a completely impressive when it is a safe option, but not taken!

I will skip the rest of that story, since all of you will fit into one of three categories: you had such a hard pregnancy & labor that my story makes me seem like a pansy, or you had a much easier labor than me & don't see how I can compare, or haven't had labor yet & wouldn't believe how such a blessing can come out of the GROSSEST process known to man (rather woman). Moving on...

So once Jackson was born, bathed, given the APGAR test (don't ask me what his score was since I was still on drugs, & completely worn out), I was moved to the postpartum room for the night (around midnight). Justin went home for the night (we had both been up for almost 24 hours). I knew he would get better sleep at home & I wouldn't get much sleep anyways. The kind nurses took Jackson to the nursery for the night. They only brought him in for feedings, assisted me if needed, then took him back when we were finished.

The next morning they would come in to check on me, bring me breakfast in bed, refill my drinks when needed (I could just hit the button & someone would come in the room!). I could ring that bell if I just wanted to see my son, they would bring him in. then take him back if I wanted to get some rest. It was Wonderful!

Then it was time for our family to leave the hospital. That's when we really found out what we were in for. When new parents leave the hospital it is the biggest dose of reality shock ever experienced! It felt like we were taking something we shouldn't have. Like we were stealing the crowned jewels. I felt like there should have been an exam we are required to pass in order to have permission to leave with our son. It was such a weird feeling!

Once we got home, reality really sank in & so did the hormones! I kept searching to the call button. Where were the helpers to bring me drinks, to take the baby so I could rest. It was like we were on our own! SCARY!! Thank God for my in-laws who came over to visit. It really helped lighten the mood & helped me relax. The first two weeks are still a hazy, bad & very long dream. I was told that my job once our son is brought home is just to keep him alive. Don't worry about cleaning the house, doing laundry, or washing the dishes. Just do what you have to do to get through it.

My husband was home with me the first week & I don't know what I would have done without him! Just having him around made me feel like I wasn't in it alone. The last 10 weeks have been the toughest & most amazing weeks of my life. I truly understand what a blessed life I have! Wonderful husband who is also a great father & perfect teammate! The feelings I have for my son are stronger than the word "love" can describe! Life is truly amazing! Okay enough of the sappy stuff. Until next time... 



1 comment:

  1. Good to see you writing, and sharing some of this experience. Didn't know if you'd want to share about labor, it's particular to each woman. I am helping new mothers around me with extra umph because of you!

    ReplyDelete